Sunday, June 15, 2014

*REVIEW* Facade of Shadows by Rick Chiantaretto


Accepted Readers,

On 6/13/14 an enticing new evil was reborn: Facade of Shadows by Rick Chiantaretto! Whatever you think you know about good versus evil and vampires will change drastically. 

Facade of Shadows was Rick's debut novel that ultimately came to halt in publishing, but as fate would have it... has been brought back to leave its impression! Sometimes fate has other plans... and I can see in the stars that it wants you to read this book! To sweeten the pot, you can get your copy for currently only 99 pennies via Amazon!

My review for Rick's other book; Death of the Body can be viewed by clicking here.   
ABOUT THE BOOK
Title:  Facade of Shadows
Author:  Rick Chiantaretto
Published: June 13th, 2014
(First published August 17th, 2006)
Genre: Dark Fantasy, Suspense 
Cover byEden Crane Design
Buy Links: Amazon
E-book: Currently .99 cents! 

Judas Iscariot (portrayed as the first of the undead), the gods and myths of ancient Egypt, and vampires all play a role in this novel of the clash between good and evil on Earth. In Façade of Shadows, the supernatural beings of Egyptian lore work together with modern-day vampire slayers to wage a pivotal battle against the dark powers of the underworld. A group of young slayers and their immortal Protector, the son of ancient gods, travel through time and space while struggling to save the population of an unsuspecting town—the first target for domination by the vampires—in a conflict that foreshadows the fate of the world. If you enjoy action, humor, tragedy, even romance involving the genre of vampires and their nemeses, this is a riveting read to add to your collection.



 Add Facade of Shadows to your To-Read Shelf on Goodreads:
A note for the readers taken from Rick Chiantaretto's website:

Facade of Shadows is being re-released with only minimal editing, preserving the juvenile writing style and original tone of the manuscript.  I wrote this book in high school, and wants to make sure it remains true to who I was when I wrote the book.

For more information from Rick regarding this book including a book trailer and preview of the prologue click here.
My Review
Writing Style: 
Let's keep in mind that Facade of Shadows was written by Rick Chiantaretto when he was still in high school technically making this is his debut novel. In my experience most debuts are a bit shaky and tend to be missing something semi-crucial to the plot, with that being said...the writing style in this one took me by a pleasant surprise! I've never seen such complexity from a beginner writer before. The plot has substance with a fully developed beginning, middle, and ending. While some aspects aren't quite prefect, the raw-natural talent is present without a doubt. Chiantaretto's writing demands your attention and will only become better with time! *Trust me, I have also read his second novel Death of the Body, which holds all the proof needed!*

I found it quite amusing that the author put his-self into the story playing one of the most important characters... the Protector, Horus. Rick has one hell of a sense of humor and imagination... that's why I'm such a fan of his. He has the skill to pull on your every emotion and take you on an unforgettable journey. 


My opinion:
I was beyond excited when I found out that Facade of Shadow's was being re-released! I have two secret passions in life... anything Egyptian and the paranormal. (Vampires being my favorite) What I adored about this book is how it combined my two favorites together! This is one of the most unique takes on vampires and the Egyptian culture I've ever read. Many Egyptian Gods and Goddess were mentioned throughout the book, each one given a specific task within the plot that goes along with how they are actually represented in Egyptology text. Translations from various actual Egyptian books were also used in the storyline giving this story such a realistic feel! 

 The plot boils down to the ancient war of good versus evil, the light against the darkness. In order for you to find out which side prevails, you're just going to have to read the book yourself. What ends up happening will shock you; I seriously never expected the outcome. I'm still awe-struck to be honest. Suspense at its finest...until the very last page! 

This book has everything I look for in an epic read plus so much more. The action had my heart-pounding, the zaniness of the characters made me laugh out loud, the tragedies brought tears to my eyes, and the romance made me realize that love always finds the light no matter how dark things become.
AUTHOR BIO
I've often been accused of having done more in my life than the average person my age, but if I were completely honest I'd have to tell you my secret: I'm really 392.
 
So after all this time, I'm a pretty crappy writer.
I have one book published but out of print, one coming out soon, and a bunch half written (when you have eternity, where's the reason to rush?). I've been favorably reviewed by horror greats like Nancy Kilpatrick, and my how-to-write-horror articles have been quoted in scholarly (aka community college freshmen's) papers.

 
I enjoy the occasional Bloody Mary, although a Bloody Kathy or Susan will suffice.

 
Mostly, I just try to keep a low profile so people don't figure out who I REALLY am.

No comments:

Post a Comment