Thursday, October 17, 2013

I'm Wearing Purple, Are You?


Accepted Readers,

Today is all about the color purple... it's SPIRIT DAY! I've gone purple and hope that you will join me in taking a stand against bullying! I'm a huge supporter for this cause because I was a victim of bullying and know many others who have been. Bullying creates a long-lasting imprint on the people who experience it and leaves behind emotional and sometimes physical scars that never fully heal. Bullying is a senseless, cruel act that people don't always recognize as a problem. Some people brush it off and treat it like it's nothing serious, almost as if it's a normal or to be expected; but it's NOT! No one should be singled out for believing in a different religion, for their sexuality, for the way they look, or for any other reason! No one should have to live in fear because of torment. We need to step up and change the way people treat others. Everyone is created equal and should be treated with respect.

Bullying is happening at an all-time high and something needs to be done to stop it. A spike in suicides among young people over the course of the past few years shows the damage being caused by bullying. We need to let our youth know that there is a person who will support them and who will understand what they are going through. We need to reach out and let them know they are not alone, that things will get better, and that the nightmares can be stopped. 

If you are being bullied, stay strong. I promise you will see brighter days and that it gets better. I know it seems hard right now, like you’re alone, but trust me you’re not. I've been where you are, I've felt like I wasn't good enough. I want you to know that your perfect the way you are, you’re a wonderful person... don't ever let anyone tell you any different! I am here if you need someone to talk to, email me, leave me a comment, or reach out to me on Facebook/Twitter. (all my contact information is listed in the upper right hand corner)  

Keep your head up, stride to prove all those who doubted you, who bullied you that they were wrong!
What is Spirit Day?
*The following paragraph was obtained from www.glaad.org*

Millions wear purple on Spirit Day as a sign of support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth and to speak out against bullying. Spirit Day was started in 2010 by high school student Brittany McMillan as a response to the young people who had taken their own lives. Observed annually, individuals, schools, organizations, corporations, media professionals and celebrities wear purple, which symbolizes spirit on the rainbow flag. Getting involved is easy -- participants are asked to simply "go purple" on October 17th as we work to create a world in which LGBT teens are celebrated and accepted for who they are. Learn more & go purple at www.glaad.org/spiritday.
Getting Involved
There is so many ways to get involved in this wonderful cause. Here are a few examples, for more ideas please visit http://www.glaad.org/spiritday/getinvolved

1. Wear purple today or change your social media icons/images purple. (There's even a free app available to download on your phone to help you do this via Apple App Store and Google Play)

2. Express your feelings about bullying by writing a blog post. Spread the word about Spirit Day!

3. Donate to the Spirit Day Fund via:
  •  Online (using Paypal, Amazon payment, or a credit/debit card) 
  •  Text message (Text PURPLE to 80888 to donate $5, will be added to your monthly bill)
I Support Spirit Day Because

No comments:

Post a Comment