Saturday, March 8, 2014

Short Story Weekly #12: Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Accepted Readers,

I am back with another Short Story Weekly. I hope to post these more often. This week I am reviewing Green Angel by Alice Hoffman. This was the second time I've read this wonderful book, the first time being when I was still in High School. I remember loving the book then and I still do. I recently found out that a book two was released for this book called Green Witch; once I can track down a copy I will be featuring it on Short Story Weekly as well. 
ABOUT THE BOOK
Title: Green Angel
Author: Alice Hoffman
Series: Green Angel (#1)
Genre: YA
Published: May 1st, 2004
# of Pages: 128
Price: E-book- $5.99 | Paperback- $5.49
Buy Link: Amazon| B & N |  
 

Left on her own when her family dies in a terrible disaster, fifteen-year-old Green is haunted by loss and by the past. Struggling to survive physically and emotionally in a place where nothing seems to grow and ashes are everywhere, Green retreats into the ruined realm of her garden. But in destroying her feelings, she also begins to destroy herself, erasing the girl she'd once been as she inks darkness into her skin. It is only through a series of mysterious encounters that Green can relearn the lessons of love and begin to heal enough to tell her story.

MY REVIEW

Writing Style: 
My favorite aspect of this book is the manner in which it is written. Many literary devices are present including elements of imagery and symbolism making this book read like a poem. 

My Opinion:
I treasured this book when I first read it and adore it even more now. I didn't realize it at the time, but this book was one of the first dystopian novels I ever read. Green Angel is a tale about a teen girl recovering from despair and finding hope when the world she knows is destroyed. At only 128 pages, this book may be short but holds an incredible story.

The way Green views the world around her shows she is mature beyond her years. She is rational but notices things that others refuse to see. I would best describe her thoughts as lyrical poetry. What I find the most interesting about Green is how she deals with her loneliness and fear. To hide how vulnerable she truly is on the inside, she does everything she can to make her appearance look rough and rugged. She refuses to show weakness even when she is breaking inside. She may have flaws but it's her imperfections that make her feel realistic. Green is a beautiful character with depth and values. She will make you feel emotions you had no idea you were capable of feeling.

To Read or Not To Read:
I say stop whatever you're doing and read this book now! If you enjoy lyrical prose, imagery and symbolism, you will LOVE this book!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to add it to my reading list! I love stories of redemption and survival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced. This sounds like a great read. Especially the lyrical prose. Some of the free writing exercises I encourage my clients to do often follows that type of style. It's liberating and a beautiful way to embrace imperfection.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete